The Mandate of WMA is to provide protection to consumers in relation to legal metrological control which includes legal control of measuring instruments, metrological supervision and metrological expertise in trade, health, safety and environment.
The Roles of WMA as stipulated under the Weights and Measures Act (Cap.340) and the Executive Agencies Act (Cap.245) are to:
- Protect consumers in trade, safety, health and environment in relation to legal metrology;
- Protect society from the consequences of false measurements in public and private transactions;
- Approve (or ensure approval by another designated institutions) measuring instruments to be used for a public or private transaction in
- trade, safety, health and environment sectors
- Control the use of measuring instruments in public and private transactions
- Control pre-packaging of products;
- Liaise with regional and international organizations with similar objectives;
- Give effect to the decisions and recommendations of the OIML Council and Committee with regard to legal metrology;
- Provide information on Legal Metrology in general and ix. Ensure that legal metrology measurement standards are traceable to national and International measurement standards.